Resting in the Character of God
Originally posted on facebook Tuesday, August 17, 2010 9:03 AM
How can I 'rest' in times of turmoil, stress and anxiety? I rest in the character of God.
If I know God and his character, then I know that nothing can disrupt my rest and peace unless I allow it to. The character of God is who He is. And I walk with Him; therefore I can rest in Him.
"The Lord is faithful to all his promises and loving toward all he has made. The Lord upholds all those who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down." Psalm 145:13-14
"Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is His faithfulness." Lamentations 3:22-23
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding." Proverbs 3:5
The character of God is multifaceted, but if I focus on his faithfulness and love I can take comfort in knowing that He is greater than my circumstances and I can truly rest.
When the sudden storm arose around those in the boat (Matthew chapter 8), all but Jesus were afraid. They were convinced they were going to die and wondered that he didn't care about it because he was sleeping. So they woke him to plead for help or at least some understanding of their current situation. What they didn't realize was that Jesus, though sleeping, was aware of the situation; he simply was not worried about it. He was able to sleep - to rest in his father God because he knew the character of his father. His father - our father - is faithful and loving and cares about us. Jesus could rest in that despite the circumstances, the storm, raging all around him.
Of course we know that the story then tells us that because Jesus was also fully God in the flesh, he commanded the storm to cease and it did. The wind and waves obeyed him because they must. He was the creator and had dominion over them; they had no choice. But he only did that for the benefit of his friends; he didn't need to do that for his own peace of mind. He was sleeping through the storm anyway.
So can we rest in the midst of our storms - if we are resting in the character of God.
Do not put your faith in your circumstances; put your faith in God.If your circumstances are good, do not trust in them because they can change - put your trust in God.If your circumstances are bad, do not assume they will stay that way because they can change - put your trust in God.
Father God Jehovah is the only unchanging thing we can know and trust. Everything else changes. Trust in Him. Put your faith in Him. Rest in Him.
Rest.
No comments:
Post a Comment