Monday, January 24, 2011

The mystery of the Round Ripple

I learned to crochet the weekend following Thanksgiving last year (2010). I absolutely love it. It is calming and therapeutic for me and the items I am creating are benefiting friends and family. Being such a newb has its disadvantages because most of the time I have no idea what I am doing ;-).

My sisters taught me the basics that weekend and sent me home with a pat on the back and kind wishes for success. But we do not live near each other and therefore I had no one to help me after that initial lesson. Thank God for You Tube! I have learned so much there. And now I have found a wonderful new community of crochet friends -- Crochetville. Thank God for Crochetville!!

After becoming somewhat accomplished at making basic items with basic stitches I decided I wanted to make a round ripple afghan. I had already taught myself a straight ripple and I figured, "how much harder can a round ripple be?" HA HA!

It seems that I can crochet in the round ... and I can crochet a ripple, but I cannot do both; sort of like not being able to chew gum and walk simultaneously. The ladies at Crochetville are trying very hard to help me through the process, but it is slow going. I think if they could be with me in person they would probably bonk me right on the head, as I am not getting this at all. *Sigh*

I will not give up though. I will keep trying and if anyone has any helpful hints to throw my way, I will gladly take them. If I ever get this accomplished I will post a pic. Don't hold your breath.

Oh yeah and PLEASE pray for me!!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I've decided not to do a round ripple at this time. I will tackle it again eventually, but the time is not right at the moment. I want to complete 2 afghans for ladies in my church and I have begun them both already. I am laying aside the round ripple and will get back to it when these are done. . . I hope. :)

    ReplyDelete